LOADING DOCS is excited to be once again seeking proposals from New Zealand filmmakers for creative and original 3-minute documentary shorts to be made in 2017.
The theme of DIVERSITY will unite the 2017 collection of documentaries.
Since launching in 2014, Loading Docs has established itself as a leading platform for the distribution of high quality short documentary boasting 1.8 million views for the 29 documentaries created to date.
Every year Loading Docs asks filmmakers to explore a theme such as home (2014), connection (2015) and change (2016). 2017’s theme is diversity. It’s a theme that touches many aspects of life, from politics, identity, science, religion to the environment.
Diversity can be cause for celebration, support innovation and enhance creativity. Diversity can also be challenging, complex and confronting.
We hope to have a range of filmmakers who are as diverse as the range of stories they will tell. In particular we are seeking proposals that speak to Māori, Pasifika and Asian points of view. There is also provision for a documentary fully in te reo Māori to complete the collection.
Telling a compelling 3-minute story is a test of creativity, skill and ingenuity. Now it’s the turn of a new crop of filmmakers to be part of a movement that is transforming the way we make, tell and view documentary shorts in Aotearoa.
Loading Docs is proud to announce that Te Māngai Pāho will join NZ On Air and the New Zealand Film Commission as a funding partner for this fourth iteration of the initiative. The documentaries will once again feature on TVNZ On Demand and loadingdocs.net with subsequent plays on Māori Television.
“We look forward to working with our partners to create ten new short documentaries that captivate and inspire audiences, reaching them across multiple platforms locally and internationally, while developing and promoting New Zealand filmmaking talent and exploring new models for film funding, production and distribution.”
Julia Parnell, Executive Producer.
Watch our call out teaser here.
10 documentaries will be selected with each team receiving extensive support and opportunities for growth:
- Professional development opportunities including workshops on story and creative treatment, outreach and distribution strategies and will receive hands on support from LoadingDocs executive producers, to ensure their short reaches the widest possible audience.
- $2,000 production funding, and an additional $2,000 matched funding to support a crowdfunding campaign (we’ll match each dollar your raise through crowdfunding up to $2,000).
- A colour grade and sound-mix from Toybox and Sale Street Studios. Making a total budget of over $7,000 for each 3-minute documentary.
This is an opportunity for the best filmmaking voices in New Zealand to take up the challenge and be part of this cutting edge short documentary initiative.
For more information about Loading Docs and to watch the documentaries produced for LoadingDocs in 2014, 2015 and 2016, visit www.loadingdocs.net/shorts
- 19 October 2016 – Request for proposals issued.
- 21 November 2016 – Deadline for proposals. (5pm)
- 28 November 2016 – Short list notified – full proposals requested.
- 19 December 2016 – Deadline for full proposals.
- 20 January 2017 – Successful applicants notified.