The films will be 8-12 minutes and made by six commissioned young film-makers / production teams in the first half of 2017.
Each commissioned film-maker / production team will work with The Outlook for Someday team, who will manage and executive produce the series.
Each production will have a contracted budget of $10,000, which will be provided to the film-makers/teams in instalments to finance their films from pre-production to final cut.
The $10,000 budget is not expected to include grading and audio mixing, which will be organised separately with the film-makers by The Outlook for Someday team.
Each film-maker/team will also be assigned a production mentor from the New Zealand film industry. The mentors will support them as they navigate their creative and logistical journey from commissioned proposal to final cut.
The idea is that Someday Stories are:
The sustainability theme is broad and inclusive. It embraces environment, society, culture, health, human rights and peace.
- Innovative, imaginative and eclectic
Any genre is welcome – drama, documentary, music video or whatever – and so is live action, animation or a mix of both.
The films might be edgy, enchanting, funny, inspiring, reflective…
Together they will spark ideas, stimulate debate and convey important information.
The initiative is targeted towards young and emerging film-makers rather than experienced film-makers.
Applications are therefore invited from film-makers / production teams aged 18-29 whose films have not previously received funding from NZ On Air or the New Zealand Film Commission, either directly or via another scheme for emerging film-makers funded by either of those agencies (such as Loading Docs).
The commissioned film-makers/teams (including those in key roles such as Producer, Director, Producer/Director and/or Writer) will need to be New Zealand citizens or residents who were born between 1 July 1987 and 1 February 1999.
PROPOSALS and APPLICATTIONS
Film-makers / production teams who meet those criteria are encouraged to start thinking now about their ideas for Someday Stories and to read this Request for Proposals (RFP).
There will be an Application Form and a Budget Template here on this page by 11 November 2016.
The RFP calls for:
- A completed application form
- A proposal of up to 8 pages, including:
- Brief outline of the idea (synopsis)
- Proposed content and creative treatment
- Details of key production personnel with biographic information
- Links to previous films by the film-maker/team
- Production schedule indicating how the film can be produced to final cut stage from March to May 2017
- Marketing plan indicating how the film-maker/team will promote viewings of their film
- A production budget using the Budget Template
- At least one letter of support from someone who knows the film-maker/team and can comment on their capacity to deliver on schedule
The deadline for applications is 12 noon on 16 December 2016.
The six Someday Stories will be selected in consultation with the Screen Partners and commissioned in February 2017.